Monday, February 11, 2013

The urge to purge (blog)

To keep or not to keep? That is the question.

Since deciding to move overseas I've been rummaging through my belongings trying to decipher, to the best of my ability, what is necessary and what is not. Turns out, this is much harder than it sounds. There's a very strong urge within me to purge. To get rid of 80% of my belongings. But the desire to hold onto things is stronger than I thought! Must find the willpower to give things away!

I've managed to fill the back of my car twice with bags full of stuff to give to Goodwill, but I feel like it's not enough. My belongings feel like such a hinderance. They make me feel heavy and weighed down. I don't want that! I want to be nimble and light. I find I get better at this in stages. I'll comb through my things labeling the "necessities." Then, will revisit those necessities and prune those further. But I still feel like I'm not getting rid of enough stuff. Have you ever had the urge to walk away from all your belongings apart from your favorite shirt and jeans?

I'm mostly writing this to urge myself onward… to dig deeper in those closets and chuck things like there's no tomorrow. That's it. I'm doing it… right now. Here I come closets!

No comments:

Post a Comment